Frontpage: Wednesday, Feb 22nd
- Super PACs Give Rise to Super-Donors: Super PACs, which can take unlimited donations, have given rise to a new type of political donor that is dominating the GOP primary race. Both The New York Times and The Washington Post lead with the example of Harold C. Simmons, a Texas businessman who has given more than $14 million to Republican super PACs this election.
- Quran Burning Protest Continues: The protests over Qurans burned at Bagram air base in Afghanistan show no signs of abating. At least four people have been killed and 20 injured in the second day of demonstrations.
- Angelina Jolie Joins NewsBeast Summit: Next month, inspiring women leaders and activists from around the globe—including Nobel winner Leymah Gbowee, Angelina Jolie, Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg, Meryl Streep, Madeleine Albright, and many more—will convene in New York City for Newsweek and The Daily Beast’s third annual Women in the World Summit.
- Obama to Unveil Corporate Tax Cut: President Obama is preparing to unveil a corporate-tax plan that would cut the rate businesses pay from 35 percent to 28 percent, senior administration officials tell The New York Times.
- Santorum ‘Satan’ Comment Resurfaces: A comment Rick Santorum made four years ago may come back to haunt him during tomorrow night’s GOP debate in Arizona. A headline reading “Santorum’s Satan Warning” posted on the Drudge Report Tuesday morning is making the rounds in the media. “This is the spiritual war. And the Father of Lies has his sights on what you think [he] would have his sights on: a good, decent, powerful, influential country—the United States of America.”
Photo: The Other Havana: Cuba Libre Photography by Michael Dweck (Michael Dweck Studios)