Frontpage: Friday, May 11th
- Clooney Raises $15M for Obama: It’s believed to be the largest one-night campaign haul ever: $40,000 a plate, 150 people, and President Obama stayed a while and gave a speech. Obama pal George Clooney threw a backyard party at his Los Angeles house Thursday night for the president, raising $15 million for the campaign.
- Dimon: $2B Loss ‘Puts Egg on Our Face’: Stock index futures on Wall Street were down Friday after JPMorgan Chase stunned investors with news that it suffered a trading loss of at least $2 billion from “egregious mistakes” on a hedging strategy.
- Brooks: I Talked Hacking with Cameron: Rebekah Brooks, Rupert Murdoch’s former right-hand woman and the ex-chief executive of News International, testified before the high-profile Leveson Inquiry on Friday morning in London. According to Brooks, current Prime Minister David Cameron used to send her texts signed “LOL” until Brooks told the politician that the acronym did not stand for “lots of love.” Brooks admitted she discussed the hacking allegations with Cameron in 2009-11, saying “on occasion” they talked about it. LOL.
- Romney Tries to Shift Focus: Mitt Romney is trying to shift the national focus back to the economy by shrugging off discussions of gay rights after President Obama’s historic endorsement of same-sex marriage Wednesday.
- Bachmann Drops Swiss Citizenship: What a patriot. “I was born in American and I am a proud American citizen,” Minnesota congresswoman Michele Bachmann said in a statement Thursday, announcing that she had asked the Swiss government to withdraw her citizenship. The former Republican presidential candidate said she gained dual citizenship after she married husband Marcus, who is the son of Swiss immigrants.
Photo: via mattstopera
Reblogged from Matt's Tumblr