Frontpage: Thursday, May 17th
- Mladic Applauds Self in Court: Before his trial was suspended indefinitely Thursday due to the prosecution’s errors, former Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic nodded, smiled and clapped his hands on his lap as 16-year-old footage was shown at his U.N. war crimes tribunal.
- Whites Below Half U.S. Births: White people have been on the way out in America for a long time, but it’s finally official: the U.S. Census Bureau announced Thursday that, of all births in the 12-month period ending in July 2011, non-Hispanic white babies made up less than half.
- RFK Jr.’s Estranged Wife Found Dead: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s estranged wife, Mary Kennedy, was found dead in her home on Wednesday in an apparent suicide. An official with Westchester County in New York confirmed the death of the 52-year-old after an ambulance was outside the separated couple’s home earlier in the day.
- Straw: I ‘Gossiped’ with Brooks: Britain’s former Home Secretary Jack Straw testified Thursday that he and Rebekah Brooks, the former head of News International, would “gossip” together when they commuted on the train.
- JPMorgan Loss Could Reach $3B: JPMorgan’s trading loss disclosed last week could be higher than the $2 billion initially thought—50 percent higher. Last Thursday, when CEO Jamie Dimon announced the loss he mentioned it could mushroom in the coming months because of the market.
Photo of the Day: May 16, 2012
The Role of Prince Charming
Alec Baldwin carries fiancee Hilaria Thomas up stairs at the red carpet at Cannes.
Reblogged from Picture Dept