Frontpage: Friday, June 22nd
1. 20 Dead in Taliban Attack: Taliban militants stormed the popular resort destination of Qargha Lake on the outskirts of Kabul on Friday, killing at least 20 civilians while all seven of the gunmen, a police officer, and three private guards were shot dead.
2. Mexican Kingpin’s Son Captured: Mexican Marines said they have captured one of the sons of Mexico’s most-wanted drug kingpin, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, leader of the Sinaloa cartel.
3. Sandusky Deliberations Enter Day 2: Jurors continue deliberations Friday in the sex-abuse trial of former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky in Bellefonte, Pa.
4. Two Service Outrages Rock Twitter: It was a rough day for Twitter, which had not one but two service outages within a few hours of each other. The service first went down between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday morning.
5. LeBron James Gets First NBA Ring: LeBron James won his first NBA championship at the age of 27 when the Miami Heat beat the Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday night 121-106 in one of the most lopsided Game 5 of victories in basketball history.
Video via YouTube, by channelintel:
Fifteen-year-old Jack Andraka wins the top award at Intel ISEF 2012 for his creation of a new, non-invasive method to detect early-stage pancreatic cancer.