Front Page — June 26, 2013
- Texas Abortion Bill Did Not Pass: It might not have been easy to stand on the Texas House floor in those pink running shoes for over 10 hours, but it looks like Sen. Wendy Davis’s filibuster actually worked.
- SCOTUS Strikes Down DOMA: In a historic victory for same-sex marriage, the Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, the 1996 law that prevented the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriage.
- Bodies Recovered in India Chopper Crash: The bodies of 20 people were recovered Wednesday, one day after a helicopter carrying survivors of major landslides and flooding crashed into a hillside in northern India. Over 1,000 people have died and thousands of homes have been destroyed in the floods, which have ravaged the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand since the middle of June.
- Patriots Star Aaron Hernandez Arrested: Aaron Hernandez was arrested at his Massachusetts home Wednesday morning, one day after his attorney unleashed an attack on the media for falsely reporting that the police had a warrant for the New England Patriot on an obstruction-of-justice charge.
- Markey Wins Mass. Senate Seat: Democratic Congressman Edward J. Markey is the new U.S. senator from Massachusetts, beating out Republican businessman Gabriel E. Gomez with 54 percent of the vote in a special election.
PHOTO: In Rawalpindi, Pakistan, a child sits on the window of a train, while he and others try to escape the heat trapped inside the cabin, as temperatures reached 109.4 degrees Fahrenheit at Rawalpindi railway station. (Photo by Muhammed Muheisen/AP)