Frontpage: Monday, April 9th
- Syrian Fire Crosses Turkish Border: Syrian forces crossed more than one line when they exchanged fire with rebel forces in a clash that spilled over into Turkey. One person was killed and more injured at the Killis refugee camp on the Turkish side of the shared border.
- North Korea Prepares Nuke Test: South Korean intelligence officials warned that the North is preparing a nuclear weapons test to follow its controversial long-range missile test, according to reports Monday.
- Microsoft Grabs AOL Patents for $1B: The technology world is in an arms race, and intellectual property is the weapon of choice. Microsoft bought its way toward the front of the pack Monday when it announced a deal with AOL that will give it 800 of AOL’s patents and license to 300 more, all for just slightly north of $1 billion.
- Prosecutor Decides No Grand Jury: The special prosecutor tasked with deciding whether to press charges against the man who shot Trayvon Martin has decided not to hand the case to a grand jury. Special prosecutor Angela Corey will now decide whether or not to press charges against shooter George Zimmerman.
- Hillary Clinton to Skip DNC: Hillary Clinton has long been a stable figure at Democratic conventions—a consistent presence dating back to the infamous 1968 convention in Chicago, her spokesman pointed out. But the secretary of state is sitting out this year’s convention in North Carolina, as part of her commitment to avoiding political activity (she’s actually banned from taking part by federal law).
Read More Cheats
Photo: The Bosnia War 20 Years Later: Photos by Peter Turnley.