Frontpage: Tuesday, Mar 27th
- Syria Accepts U.N. Peace Plan: International envoy Kofi Annan said Tuesday that Syria has accepted a U.N. ceasefire proposal, but that much remains to be done to implement the plan. “I indicated that I had received a response from the Syrian government and will be making it public today, which is positive, and we hope to work with them to translate it into action,” Annan told reporters in Beijing.
- Kennedy: Gov’t Has ‘Heavy Burden’: In the second day of oral arguments in the Supreme Court’s Obamacare case, Justice Anthony Kennedy told lawyers defending the law that the government as a “heavy burden of justification” to prove that the government can require citizens to purchase a service.
- Al Jazeera Has Video of Shootings: Al Jazeera said on Monday that it had received video footage that appears to be of last week’s deadly attacks on a military base and a Jewish school in Toulouse.
- North Korea Still Plans Missile Test: North Korea plans to roll the dice with its missile launch next month, despite stern warnings from President Obama and the international community to abandon the idea.
- Photo: Protesters demonstrating against the Affordable Care Act outside the Supreme Court on Monday, as the court begins hearing arguments against the law’s constitutionality. (Jacquelyn Martin / AP Photo)
A speedy, smart summary of news and must-reads from across the web and around the Tumblrverse, brought to you by The Daily Beast.