Frontpage: Monday, July 23rd
- Iraq Bombings Kill 93: Monday marked Iraq’s bloodiest day so far this year, as 93 people died from bombings and shootings. Just a few days prior, the leader of the country’s al Qaeda faction declared a new offensive in an attempt to take advantage of the disorganized Baghdad government U.S. troops are leaving behind. Monday’s violence suggests al Qaeda is much more powerful than U.S. and Iraqi officials admit.
- Holmes Dazed in Court: James Holmes, the sole suspect in the Colorado movie-theater shooting, sat silent and seemingly dazed in his first court appearance Monday. Investigators say Holmes is not cooperating with them, and when they searched his apartment Sunday, they found several Batman-related items, including a poster for the movie and a Batman mask.
- Penn State Fined $60M: Penn State will be fined $60 million—one year’s worth of revenue from the football team—which will go towards foundations to help victims and the prevention of sexual abuse, the NCAA announced today. Its football team will also be banned from bowl games and any other postseason games for the next four years and the number of scholarships provided for Penn State athletes will be reduced from 25 to 15 for the next four years.
- Arab League Offers Assad ‘Safe Exit’: In an effort to end the violence that has raged across Syria for over a year, the Arab League’s secretary-general offered Bashar al-Assad, the country’s president, a “safe exit” if he steps down. The organization also offered $100 million for Syrian refugees who’ve had to flee to other countries. This isn’t the first such offer the despotic president has received.
- Euro Drops to 11-Year Low: The euro reached its lowest level since 2000 Monday, making it 1 percent against the yen. The slip seems motivated by fear of an impending bailout for Spain.
Photo via picturedept:
Photo of the Day: July 22, 2012
Penn State employees covered the Joe Paterno statue outside Beaver Stadium before removing it on Sunday.
Photo: Christopher Weddle, Centre Daily Times / Getty Images