Frontpage: Thursday, Jan 12th
- Romney Prepares Bain Counterattack: Facing several days of attacks on his record at Bain Capital, Mitt is preparing a series of ads featuring Bain employees speaking positively about the company.
- Karzai Condemns Taliban Abuse Tape: A disturbing video that appears to show U.S. Marines urinating on dead Taliban fighters was slammed as “inhumane” by Afghan President Hamid Karzai—but the Taliban says it won’t harm their new peace talks with the U.S.
- Obama Raises $68M at End of 2011: The figure surpasses his goal olf $60M for the 4th quarter.
- Second Syrian Monitor May Quit: The Arab League observer mission in Syria may be coming apart at the seams, with a second monitor threatening to quit. A day after Anwar Malek, an Algerian observer, told Al Jazeera that the mission was a “farce” and quit, another observer told Reuters that he was considering walking out as well.
- Newt: Moderate Can’t Beat Obama: A fourth-place finish in New Hampshire hasn’t deterred Republican candidate Newt Gingrich from going after Mitt Romney, only referring to him as “a moderate.” Sneaky.
Photo: Members of a military band perform at the opening plenary session of the Shanghai Municipal People’s Congress in Shanghai, China. (Aly Song, Reuters / Landov)