Frontpage: Monday, Jan. 9th
- Pay Cuts For Wall Street: Wall Street’s dismal year is about to hit home for traders. The Wall Street Journal reports that compensation is likely to fall to its lowest level since the 2008 financial crisis.
- Mitt Holds Huge Lead in NH: The primary is tomorrow, but candidates and some journalists are already heading to South Carolina. Roney’s polling at 35% in the state, with Ron Paul in second at 18%.
- Gingrich Prepares Romney Salvo: While Romney may have New Hampshire locked up, Gingrich will be waiting in South Carolina with a $5 million ad painting Romney as a predatory capitalist.
- Iran Sentences American to Death: Iran has announced that it will sentence American Amir Mirzaei Hekmati to death for espionage. Iran claims Hekmati, a former marine, was sent by the CIA.
- NBC & Daily Beast Team Up for 2012: NBC News and Newsweek & The Daily Beast announced a collaboration for the upcoming 2012 election. The magazine and Web site will have access to NBC News’ deep bench of political reporters and video content, as well as opportunities to work with NBC at national debates.
Photo: Mourners throw rice, as is tradition, while guards carry the coffin of a Syrian officer at a funeral procession in front of Al-Hassan mosque in Damascus. The slain officer was one of 11 killed during a suicide bombing on Friday. (Muzaffar Salman / AP Photo)