Frontpage: Thursday, Feb 16th
- Congress Reaches Deal on Payroll Tax: Congressional negotiators reached a deal on a $150 billion plan that will extend a payroll tax holiday for 10 months and unemployment benefits through the end of the year.
- Karzai: Talks With Taliban Have Begun: “There have been contacts between the U.S. government and the Taliban, there have been contacts between the Afghan government and the Taliban,” Afghan President Hamid Karzai said.
- U.N. to Hold Symbolic Syria Vote: A day after the Syrian president promised reform, his troops launched an attack on the cities of Deraa, Hama, injuring an estimated 50 people. The U.N. General Assembly will vote Thursday on the symbolic resolution condeming Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s brutal crackdown.
- Santorum Releases Tax Documents: He’s no Mitt Romney when it comes to income, but presidential candidate Rick Santorum has been doing OK lately. The former senator from Pennsylvania released four years—more than any other candidate—of tax returns, covering 2007 to 2010.
- OK Senate Passes Personhood Act: Oklahoma legislators moved a step closer to in their attempted to outlaw abortion on Wednesday as the state Senate passed the Personhood Act, 34-8. The bill now moves to the House where pro-life Republicans outnumber democrats two-to-one.