I just cannot see how he can be such a president without explaining away the newsletters convincingly….But the words and sentiments in those newsletters cannot attach themselves - even by mere appearance - to a potential president of this country. I see that now. Maybe my admiration for Paul’s courage and his extraordinary resistance to the authoritarianism and intolerance in his own party blinded me to this. But you can’t be both the solution and the problem.
Frontpage: Thursday, Dec. 22
- Rove Tells Boehner to Cave on Tax: The House GOP continues to take criticism over its failure to pass a payroll-tax extension. Meanwhile the Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor are taking heat from Republicans for failing to warn their Senate counterparts that, you know, it wasn’t going to pass in the House.
- At Least 63 Killed in Iraq Bombings: A dozen bombs killed 63 people in Baghdad on Thursday. These are the first major acts of violence since American troops pulled out earlier this week.
- Romney: I’d Deport Obama’s Uncle: Onyango Obama, 67, is a Kenyan with a case pending in Massachusetts for not returning to Kenya 20 years ago.
- U.S. Admits Blame in Pakistan Strike: The Pentagon has admitted responsibility for an air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers on the Afghan border last month, blaming “inadequate co-ordination” with Pakistani officers.
- Ron Paul Storms Out of CNN Interview: The candidate who had been complaining about a lack of coverage said he was sick of being “pestered” about racist newsletters that were sent in his name during the ’90s. He took off his mic and stormed off he set with CNN’s Gloria Borger.
Photo: People watch the launch of the Soyuz TMA-03M space ship from Baikonur, Kazakhstan carry a new crew to the International Space Station. (Dmitry Lovetsky / AP Photo)