Frontpage: Monday, Mar 26th
- Obama: Let’s Talk “After My Election”: Oops! In a comment picked up by live microphones Monday at a meeting with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, President Obama said he’d be better able to talk with the newly elected Vladimir Putin “after my election.”
- Bales’ Wife: ‘He Would Not Do That’: Karilyn Bales, who is married to the Army staff sergeant accused of killing 17 Afghan civilians, told the Today show on Monday that she can’t imagine her husband would do such a thing. The charges, especially those against children, Bales told Matt Lauer, are “unbelievable to me … I have no idea what happened, but he would not … he loves children, and he would not do that.”
- Santorum Curses at NYT Reporter: Following a Wisconsin speech in which the Rick Santorum called his opponent Mitt Romney the “worst Republican in the country to put up against Barack Obama,” The New York Times’s Jeff Zeleny tweeted, “I ask Santorum if Romney is ‘worst Republican’ to run. He says: ‘Quit distorting my words It’s bullshit.’”
- South Korea Warns Against Rocket Tests: President Obama declared in South Korea Monday that the Koreans are “one people,” even as the country braced itself for a threatened missile test by the North. The president is in South Korea as part of a nuclear-nonproliferation summit.
- Trayvon’s Parents to Speak in Sanford: The parents of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, shot by a neighborhood-watch volunteer a month ago, will return to Sanford, Fla., Monday to speak.
Photo: A woman displays her inked finger after voting at a polling station in Fatick, Senegal. Senegalese voted in a run-off election in which the 85-year-old incumbent Abdoulaye Wade is fighting off a mass opposition effort to foil his controversial bid to stay in power for a third term. (Issouf Sanogo, AFP / Getty Images)