Frontpage: Friday, June 8
1. American to Be Al Qaeda No. 2?: Intelligence experts say that al Qaeda has five men with the potential to succeed current leader Ayman al-Zawahiri—and one is a U.S. citizen.
2. U.N.: Civil War ‘Imminent’ in Syria: United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned Thursday that civil war in Syria is “imminent” as Syrian government troops blocked unarmed United Nations monitors from investigating a massacre in the small town of Qubeir—and even firing on them.
3. Obama Takes on Sluggish Economy: In a statement Friday morning President Obama blamed an intractable Congress for scuttling the “bipartisan” jobs plan he sent them last year, and said that he urges legislators to reconsider.
4. Cameron to Testify in Hacking Inquiry: British Prime Minister David Cameron will give evidence next Thursday at the Leveson Inquiry into the country’s media ethics.
5. Algae Blooms Under Polar Ice: Scientists in an international team said they have recorded the most intense algae bloom ever—and it was under the polar ice caps in the Arctic last summer.
Video by PiggyGirl2010/YouTube
Here’s Hamlet the Pig coming down the stairs to have some breakfast. Happy Friday!