And if you’re a gay man wanting to marry another gay man, how does that impact me personally? You know, it doesn’t … It’s not about whether I’m Catholic or whether or not the party platform says this or whether or not the Democrats were the ones who brought it in the first place. All of that’s really irrelevant.
West’s comment suggests a desperation that will spread if future reports are as good as last week’s, which raises the question of what the Republicans will do next to try to wreck the economy.
I know, one isn’t supposed to talk like this. I know, it’s evil to suggest that politicians would put their electoral fate this fall ahead of the conditions of the people. And, I know, it’s just … ooooh, it’s so mean!
Michael Tomasky on the Tea Party Congressman Allen West calling the improved economic statistics “number games.”
(Paul Sancya / AP Photo)
Frontpage: Thursday, Feb. 2nd
- Washington Senate Passes Gay Marriage: CORRECTION: If it also passes the House, Washington would become the 7th state to legalize same-sex marriage. [Earlier we implied that the law had already passed both state houses.]
- Sharron Angle to Endorse Santorum: The Tea Party favorite likes Santorum, saying, “He is a strong fiscal and social conservative who stands on principles above politics.”
- Pakistan Charges PM With Contempt: Things getting more turbulent in the Pakistani government— the supreme court says it will charge Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani with contempt of court.
- Facebook Founders Strike Rich: Going public is great news for Facebook’s early investors—some well known, and some not so well known. The graffiti artist who painted the walls of Facebook’s first office stands to make $200 million. Good call not taking the cash.
- Snow Traps 11,000 in Serbia: Europe’s deep freeze has trapped 11,000 Serbian villagers in the mountains with 16 feet of snow. Emergency crews are trying to clear the snow and deliver supplies, but more snow is expected soon.
Watch: John Avlon asks whether Mitt Romney cares about poor people.
Photo: A man smokes in sub-zero temperatures near a subway station in Kiev. (Gleb Garanich / Reuters-Landov)
So this is a thing: Patriots for Self-Deportation is a “growing force in the Tea Party” that believes…
that securing our borders is not enough. We must make sure that all residents and “citizens” have a true right to be in this great land. We believe our current laws must be changed to abolish anchor babies, whose children, throughout history, should have never received automatic citizenship to this nation.
From their FAQ: What should I do if I learn that my ancestors came to America illegally?
It is your responsibility as a Patriot to uphold the laws of this country. You can be a more effective deterrent to illegal immigration than even a border wall or border drones. Stopping illegal immigration starts with you.
The first step is to do your research and verify that you are an anchor baby. Once you know for sure, then you can begin researching your options. You can apply for proper citizenship, but it is best to do this from the country of your ancestors’ origin. Please visit How to Self-Deport for more detailed instructions.
Maybe a tragedy like the death of a feckless twentysomething is inevitable if we are to restrain healthcare costs. But it is still a tragedy. It is not something a decent person cheers. Similarly the execution of hundreds, while perhaps defensible politically and even morally (although I differ), is nonetheless a brutal, awful business. You don’t delight in it. And the same is true of torture.
Oh hey! One of your tumblr’s will be co-hosting (ok, moderating) a live chat during tonight’s GOP CNN/Tea Party Express presidential debate. We start at 8pm EST. Howard Kurtz & Lloyd Grove will be the real co-hosts, chatting with readers about Perry, Romney, Paul, Santorum, Cain, Huntsman, and Bachmann—who is probably facing an uphill, must-win scenario going into tonight’s debate. Hope you can join us for the action. These are usually pretty fun.