Reblogged from Christopher Dickey
Frontpage: Friday, Jan. 6th
- Unemployment Rate Falls to 8.5%: 200,000 jobs created in December, which exceeded the forecast of 155,000. While this will certainly help President Obama’s reelection bid, he will still likely have the highest unemployment rate of any sitting president since WWII.
- Santorum Has Lucrative Ties: While in the Senate, Santorum sponsored at least two bills that won hundreds of millions for Universal Health Services. After his Senate stint, he joined their board in 2006.
- Explosions Kill 25 in Syria: A suicide bomber killed an estimated 25 people and wounded another 46 in Damascus Friday.
- Penn State Hires New Head Coach: After an eight-week search, Penn State has hired New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien to head the team.
- Ex-Turkish General Arrested Over Coup: Former Turkish military chief Gen. Ilker Basbug was jailed Friday for allegations of leading a terror organization and attempting to stage a coup against the government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in 2009.
Photo: Marek Solczynski, from Poland, and Charles John Brown, from the United States, lay on the floor before being appointed bishops by Pope Benedict XVI at St Peter’s basilica at the Vatican. (Gabriel Bouys, AFP / Getty Images)
A speedy, smart summary of news and must-reads from across the web and around the Tumblrverse, brought to you by The Daily Beast.