Frontpage: Friday, Feb. 24th
- 12 Killed in Quran Protests: At least 12 more people were killed on Friday in Afghanistan as the the outrage over the burning of Qurans by American troops continues.
- Maryland Senate Passes Gay Marriage: Gay-marriage proponents celebrated another win in Maryland on Thursday after the state Senate approved a measure that would legalize same-sex unions. Gov. Martin O’Malley has vowed to sign the bill, which will make Maryland the eighth state to adopt gay marriage.
- ‘Friends of Syria’ Demand Action: Foreign ministers from more than 50 countries, calling themselves the Friends of Syria, are holding their first meeting Friday to demand Syria allow international aid be delivered to civilians as the government continue brutal assaults on the city of Homs.
- Santorum Picks Up Women’s Support: Despite fervent anti-contraception rhetoric and a steadfast opposition to abortion, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum appears to be doing better with the fairer sex. A new poll has put his popularity among women up 13 points since January.
- Edwards Sex Tape to Be Destroyed: All copies of a sex tape involving former presidential candidate John Edwards and his mistress Rielle Hunter will be destroyed within 30 days, after Hunter won ownership of the video in a court settlement Thursday.
Photo: Palle-Jooseppi, a male brown bear, wakes up after winter hibernation at the Ranua Zoo in Ranua, Finland. (Lehtikuva / Reuters) More photos of the day