Front Page - June 19, 2013
1. Lisa Murkowski Backs Gay Marriage: “I support the right of all Americans to marry the person they love … It keeps politicians out of the most private and personal aspects of people’s lives—while also encouraging more families to form and more adults to make a lifetime commitment to one another.”
2. Obama Defends NSA Surveillance: During his first presidential trip to Berlin, on Wednesday Barack Obama took time to quell concerns from German Chancellor Angela Merkel and her country’s citizens about his administration’s intentions with the recently revealed NSA spying program.
3. FBI Uses Surveillance Drones in U.S.: FBI director Robert Mueller told the Senate judiciary committee that his agency uses surveillance drones in the U.S. Asked about the FBI’s use of drones, Mueller said that the agency does use them, but “in a very, very minimal way, very seldom.”
4. House Passes ‘Fetal Pain’ Bill: House Republicans on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly in favor of the “Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act,” a far-reaching bill that would limit abortions after 20 weeks of conception.
5. World Bank: Climate Change a Threat: It believes climate change poses short-term risks and has begun dedicating billions of dollars to water management, flood prevention, and other projects to help “hotspots” like Bangkok, Jakarta, and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, where the threat of damage from climate change is exceptionally high.
Photo: Kabul, Afghanistan: NATO soldiers take cover from dust and debris from a UH-47 Chinook helicopter landing to pick them up after the security handover ceremony. By Omar Sobhani/Reuters, via Landov