Frontpage: Tuesday, Mar 13th
- Afghans Burn Obama in Effigy: There may be no “rush for the exits,” as President Obama said yesterday, but the administration is weighing changes to its Afghanistan withdrawal strategy, according to The New York Times. The plan was to end combat operations by the end of 2014, but with the recent Quran-burning scandal and last weekend’s massacre of Afghan civilians, the administration is debating whether to accelerate the process. Meanwhile thousands of demonstrators took to the streets in Afghanistan to protest Sunday’s massacre, some burning Obama in effigy.
- Newt Backer Sued for $375 Million: Sheldon Adelson—the Las Vegas billionaire known for bankrolling Gingrich’s presidential aspirations—is now facing down a $375 million lawsuit. Adelson and his family own Las Vegas Sands, a casino operator, which is being sued by former partner Asian American Entertainment for breach of contract regarding the company’s successful bid for a gambling license in Macau.
- Rebekah Brooks Arrested Again: Rupert Murdoch’s flame-haired former deputy Rebekah Brooks is back in jail, part of a police sweep that took in five others in an investigation into phone hacking at News Corp. Brooks’s husband, horse trainer Charlie Brooks, was also taken in.
- Syria Laying Border Land Mines: Report: The forces of Bashar al-Assad have reached a new low, if a report from Human Rights Watch is true. The group says it has multiple accounts of land mines on Syria’s border with Lebanon and Turkey, along routes used by refugees to escape the violence.
- Ohio Bill Targets Viagra Users: A female Ohio legislator introduced a bill Monday that would require men to have medical tests and visit a sex therapist before getting a prescription for Viagra and other erectile dysfunction drugs. Ohio state Sen. Nan Turner said that if lawmakers want to put limits on women’s reproductive health, men’s reproductive health should also be examined.
Photo: Prince Harry playing polo. Prince Harry is killing it. (Chris Jackson / Getty Images)
This was the same spot where Harry went last week, and once again, Harry jumped up on the stage and started banging the drums. Only this time, he was wearing a Santa hat. Earlier in the day, Beckham had met Prince William for a drink at the nearby Stafford Hotel, where the two were reportedly “deep in conversation in the bar area for about 90 minutes.”
Prince Harry’s having a pretty good December.