Speaking of MTV, the Village Voice got hold of a copy of the Real World contract. Some highlights:
• You may be humiliated and explicitly portrayed “in a false light.” (12)
• Interacting with other cast members carries the risk of “non-consensual physical contact” and should you contract AIDS, etc. during such an interaction, MTV is not responsible. (7)
• You’re not pregnant and you won’t become pregnant before the show’s done filming. If you do become pregnant, you’ll tell the Producer immediately—and pregnancy is grounds for dismissal. (38)
• You grant the Producer blanket rights to your life story. (49)
• Under ordinary circumstances, all of this would be considered a “serious” invasion of privacy. (11)
To that last point, in reality TV anything goes.