Frontpage: Monday, April 2nd
- Pakistan Jails Bin Laden Family: Osama bin Laden’s three widows and two eldest daughters have been sentenced to 45 days in jail and a fine of $114 each for living in Pakistan illegally. After their jail terms—in about two weeks, because they’ve already served a month of their sentence—they’re expected to be deported.
- Not Zimmerman’s Screams on 911 Tape: The cries for help heard in the background of a 911 call from the night of Trayvon Martin’s shooting are not George Zimmerman’s, experts said Sunday. The experts said that the tests would be admissible in court, and that similar tests had recently been allowed into evidence in a murder trial. Screams and a single handgun report are heard in the recording.
- Syria Agrees to Deadline: Is this finally the end of violence in Syria? Kofi Annan has reportedly said that the nation—mainly President Assad—has agreed to a six-point peace plan. The plan specifies a UN-supervised ceasefire in which all soldiers and weapons will be removed from cities within 48 hours of an April 10 deadline.
- 12 Survivors in Russian Plane Crash: A dozen people survived the crash of a turboprop aircraft in Siberia and 31 were killed in an accident that Russian officials are now blaming on icing.
- Santorum Ad Compares Mitt with Obama: Rick Santorum’s latest Wisconsin ad asks voters if they would support a candidate who advocated for a health-care overall, a Wall Street bailout, and “job killing” cap-and-trade legislation. Behind the narrator is the image of President Obama, but then it’s revealed that the candidate she is talking about is actually Mitt Romney. See what you did there.
Photo: A surfer approaches Lake Ontario in near freezing temperatures as part of “the Freshest Wave” competition. (Mark Blinch / Reuters-Landov)
A speedy, smart summary of news and must-reads from across the web and around the Tumblrverse, brought to you by The Daily Beast.