Front Page - June 20, 2013
1. New Virus More Deadly Than SARS: A new virus distantly related to SARS is shaping up to be more deadly and spread even more quickly than the one that caused a global outbreak in 2003, killing 800 people.
2. $7B Afghan War Gear Scrapped: Working to meet a tight withdrawal deadline in Afghanistan, the U.S. military is destroying massive amounts of its own equipment that is too expensive to bring home.
3. U.S. Tries to Salvage Taliban Talks: The U.S. is desperately working to salvage a plan to open negotiations on Afghanistan’s security after a meeting with the Taliban offended Afghan president Hamid Karzai, who now won’t answer phone calls from Secretary of State John Kerry.
4. Four Convicted in Gay Attack: Two men and two women were convicted in Kentucky on Wednesday for kidnapping and assaulting a gay relative
5. Son Found Gandolfini in ‘Distress’: His teenage son, Michael, found the 51-year-old Sopranos’ actor in distress in the hotel bathroom in Rome where they were vacationing late Wednesday night and called the front desk for help, according to officials.
Photo: Rawalpindi, Pakistan
: Spectators look on as an acrobat rides his motorcycle around a circular track at an entertainment park. By Muhammed Muheisen/AP.