Frontpage: Tuesday, Feb 14th
- Poll: Romney and Santorum Tied: Mitt Romney’s lead in the Republican primary race has been erased. According to a new poll by The New York Times, he and Rick Santorum are effectively tied.
- Syria Forces ‘Shelling Randomly’: Nine people were reportedly killed Tuesday in Syria as opposition activists said that government snipers were randomly shelling civilians in Homs.
- China’s VP Visits White House: China’s Vice President Xi Jinping is visiting the Oval Office today in a closely watched diplomatic mission. It’s Xi’s first major step onto the international stage, a test run for when he takes over the presidency in March 2013.
- Apple Factories to Get Outside Audit: Following recent reports and protests over inhumane working conditions at its Chinese suppliers, Apple has asked an outside organization to audit its plants. Until recently the company has strongly resisted divulging information about its suppliers.
- Bombing Rocks Thai Capital: Thailand Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered police and the National Intelligence Agency to probe three explosions that occurred Tuesday in Bangkok’s Klongton district, with the Foreign Ministry assigned to talk to Iran because a suspect seriously injured in the blasts was believed to be Iranian.
Photo: Standard Poodle Sophie gets groomed for the Westminster Kennel Club dog show. (Craig Ruttle)
A speedy, smart summary of news and must-reads from across the web and around the Tumblrverse, brought to you by The Daily Beast.