She planned her day around the drugs, and nothing else mattered,” says one of her closest friends, who requested anonymity because she herself often partied with Houston. “Drug sellers loved her, and everyone wanted to sell to her because she paid in cash. She would spend thousands of dollars a week buying drugs and stockpile it in the house so she wouldn’t run out. The house would be a mess, with trash and dirty clothes everywhere, but she didn’t want anyone to clean up, because she didn’t want people to see how bad everything was. She didn’t want a nanny for Bobbi Kristina for the same reason.
Despite restraining orders that until 2011 required Brown to keep more 50 feet away from his former love, it was a not-so-well-kept secret that the two never stopped communicating, using secret messages and Twitter to remain in contact. The young stars seemed, and still appear, completely unaware of the conflicting and damaging message they’re sending their young fans—and of the slippery slope they both stand upon.
Allison Samuels takes a look at Chris Brown and Rihanna’s recent collaboration, its ethical implications, and how it reminds her of another famous celebrity couple.
(Photo: Rihanna and Chris Brown perform in 2008 during Z100’s Jingle Ball in New York City., Theo Wargo / WireImag)
Robyn/Whitney - Dancing in Houston
That straight vocal track from How I Will I Know everyone passed around this weekend got put into this awesome Robyn track cause the internet knows what Mikey like.
I just listened to this and I swear my heart grew 4 sizes that day and then overflowed.
Why can’t I hold all these feels?
“My mother taught me that when you stand in the truth and someone tells a lie about you, don’t fight it. I’m not with any man. I’m not in love. People see Robyn with me, and they draw their own conclusions. Anyway, whose business is it if you’re gay or like dogs? What others do shouldn’t matter. Let people talk. It doesn’t bother me because I know I’m not gay. I don’t care.”
Whitney Houston addresses rumors surrounding her sexuality in an interview from 1987. Read more of our anatomy of a rumor.
Frontpage: Monday, Feb 13th
- Israel Stops Sharing Iran Intel With U.S.: At the beginning of the Obama administration, Obama approved U.S.-Israel joint covert operations aimed at disrupting Iran’s nuclear program. Newsweek has found, though, that Israel has stopped sharing some key planning information on Iran.
- Obama’s Budget Targets Rich: The document is expected to propose raising taxes on millionaires while seeking billions of dollars for infrastructure projects and job-training programs.
- Riots Rock Athens: Greek lawmakers passed an unpopular bailout deal Sunday, as protesters took to the streets in outrage, attacking police with fire bombs and stones.
- Romney Hires Army of Lobbyists: For a campaign running against Washington insiders, Mitt Romney’s team contains a lot of lobbyists. Romney’s kitchen cabinet includes a lobbyist for Walmart and AT&T, a representative of Pfizer, and a managing partner for Clark & Weinstock. Almost 300 lobbyists have donated at least $401,000 to Romney’s campaigns.
- Report: Whitney Death Due to Drugs: The day after Whitney Houston was at the center of an outpouring of grief and love at the Grammys, the Los Angeles coroner’s office has reportedly told her family that she died not of drowning but from a mix of prescription drugs and alcohol.
Photo: Protesters run by a burning building during demonstrations against austerity plans being debated by lawmakers. (Louisa Gouliamaki, AFP / Getty Images)