The recent revelation that nearly one in 10 abortion clinics in the United States have closed during the past two years has received a lot less coverage than Todd Aiken’s asininities or proposals to force transvaginal ultrasounds on unwilling women. Nor has there been much chatter about the new round of assaults on RU-486, which have led to a case that’s been accepted before the Supreme Court, with potentially far-reaching conclusions. Partly, this is due to fatigue—these days, news of broad new abortion restrictions is barely news at all. Partly, it’s because there’s so much going on in the world—public attention is, understandably, focused on Syria. But it’s also because the anti-abortion movement has been making epochal advances using regulations that are as tedious to read about as they are to describe. In the abortion wars, boredom has become a powerful weapon.
David Frum and Michael Tomasky discuss whether women prefer to vote for Democrats. Interesting insight in to the importance of abortion.
It’s time for some online activism. Who’s with us? HELP US FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!
Kansas, the home of Dr. Tiller, is trying to pass some of the most restrictive anti-choice legislation in the country with the bill, HB2598.
People have taken to FB and Twitter to let Governor Sam Brownback, a staunch no-exceptions-even-in-cases-of-rape anti-choicer, know that they are NOT happy about this. They are leaving messages asking questions about reproduction, giving statuses on their menstrual cycle, and making general inquiries about their bodies.
JOIN THIS FIGHT!
Brownback is scrubbing his FB page as quickly as he can but we can make that job nearly impossible.
Brownback’s Twitter: @GovSamBrownback. If you take the fight to Twitter, please use hashtag: #mybodyyourchoice so we can see all the responses (use that hashtag no matter which anti-choicer you are tweeting at, in fact).
You can also call Brownback’s office at 877-579-6757 or 785-296-3232.
COME ON, TUMBLR! SIGNAL BOOST!
Let’s do this!
This is great and the questions are hilarious!!!
lol - i love it.
even if you don’t do it, go and look at the comments. fantastic.
This is amazing.
I love this kind of trolling.
I’m sure most of you have seen this already but if you haven’t go check it out. It’s hilarious AND a great idea. Get on it!
As you may suspect, there are a bunch more good ones.
Frontpage: Tuesday, Mar 13th
- Afghans Burn Obama in Effigy: There may be no “rush for the exits,” as President Obama said yesterday, but the administration is weighing changes to its Afghanistan withdrawal strategy, according to The New York Times. The plan was to end combat operations by the end of 2014, but with the recent Quran-burning scandal and last weekend’s massacre of Afghan civilians, the administration is debating whether to accelerate the process. Meanwhile thousands of demonstrators took to the streets in Afghanistan to protest Sunday’s massacre, some burning Obama in effigy.
- Newt Backer Sued for $375 Million: Sheldon Adelson—the Las Vegas billionaire known for bankrolling Gingrich’s presidential aspirations—is now facing down a $375 million lawsuit. Adelson and his family own Las Vegas Sands, a casino operator, which is being sued by former partner Asian American Entertainment for breach of contract regarding the company’s successful bid for a gambling license in Macau.
- Rebekah Brooks Arrested Again: Rupert Murdoch’s flame-haired former deputy Rebekah Brooks is back in jail, part of a police sweep that took in five others in an investigation into phone hacking at News Corp. Brooks’s husband, horse trainer Charlie Brooks, was also taken in.
- Syria Laying Border Land Mines: Report: The forces of Bashar al-Assad have reached a new low, if a report from Human Rights Watch is true. The group says it has multiple accounts of land mines on Syria’s border with Lebanon and Turkey, along routes used by refugees to escape the violence.
- Ohio Bill Targets Viagra Users: A female Ohio legislator introduced a bill Monday that would require men to have medical tests and visit a sex therapist before getting a prescription for Viagra and other erectile dysfunction drugs. Ohio state Sen. Nan Turner said that if lawmakers want to put limits on women’s reproductive health, men’s reproductive health should also be examined.
Photo: Prince Harry playing polo. Prince Harry is killing it. (Chris Jackson / Getty Images)
It’s not a stretch to say that Planned Parenthood’s tactics to force the Susan G. Komen Foundation to restore their funding were no less than a Mafia-style shakedown of a charity whose only purpose is to help prevent and treat breast cancer.
Penny Nance, CEO and president of the conservative Concerned Women for America, says Planned Parenthood bullied Komen with mob-like maneuvers tactics.
When almost no one showed up to the “day of rage” in Saudi Arabia three months ago, many in the West assumed that Saudis had little to protest. It turns out that at least half of them just couldn’t get there.
So today, June 17, Saudi women are practicing the basic human right of driving, and risking arrest while doing so.
Photo: Sergei Chuzavkov/AP